Half of Americans Say President Trump Sometimes Loses Touch with Reality; Just 13% in USA Say Trump Always Tells the Truth; Though Trump Describes His White House As a ‘Fine-Tuned Machine,’ 70% of Americans Say Things in DC are Out of Control; 32% Say Trump Is On His Way Toward Making America Great Again, But 39% Say Trump Is Making America Worse Than Ever
Americans offer a sober assessment of America’s 45th President. Hard-core supporters stand by him, but independents and moderates — and of course Democrats — are troubled by what they see, one month after businessman Donald Trump put his hand on a bible and swore an oath.
SurveyUSA interviewed 1,600 adults nationwide. Of them, 94% (1,500 adults) say they focus on current events at least 1 hour a day and were asked the questions in this survey. Essential findings:
* 50% of Americans say Donald Trump was elected president “fair and square.”
* 38% of Americans say Mr. Trump was helped across the finish line.
* 13% of Americans say Mr. Trump always tells the truth.
* 43% say Mr. Trump knows when he is telling the truth and knows when he is making things up.
* 35% say Mr. Trump is unable to distinguish between what is true and what is made up.
* 33% nationwide say Mr. Trump sees the world as it is.
* 14% say Mr. Trump has a vivid imagination.
* 49% say Mr. Trump sometimes loses touch with reality.
* 32% of Americans say Mr. Trump is on his way toward making America great again.
* 20% say it is too soon for Mr. Trump to have had an impact one way or the other.
* 39% nationwide say Mr. Trump is making America worse than ever.
* Despite Mr. Trump’s claim that his administration is running like a fine-tuned machine, just 15% of Americans say things in D.C. are under control
* 70% say things in Washington DC are out of control.
Though Republicans remain firmly in the President’s corner, and though Democrats remain predictably opposed, there is learning in examining the views of independents and moderates, who often look at politics more dispassionately than those on the ends of the ideological spectrum.
* A plurality of independents and moderates believe Mr. Trump was elected fair and square.
* A plurality of independents and moderates say Mr. Trump is making America worse than ever.
* 69% of independents and 71% of moderates say things in Washington DC are out of control.
* Half of moderates and a plurality of independents say Mr. Trump sometimes loses touch with reality.
* A plurality of independents and moderates say Mr. Trump does not always tell the truth, but at least he knows when he is making things up.
* Just 33% of Republicans and just 24% of conservatives say Mr. Trump always tells the truth.
* 54% under age 50, 55% in urban areas and 51% in suburban areas say Mr. Trump sometimes loses touch with reality.
* Protestants are much more likely to say Mr. Trump sees the world as it is.
* Other Christians, Catholics, members of other religions and the non-religious say the President sometimes loses touch with reality.
Online interviews conducted 02/16/17; one half were completed before Mr. Trump’s 02/16/17 press conference, the other half were completed during and after the press conference. Material statement from SurveyUSA here.