SurveyUSA interviewed 900 Ohio adults, of whom 620 watched the debate last night between Republican Sarah Palin and Democrat Joe Biden. Of debate watchers:
- 37% say Palin was the clear winner.
- 38% say Biden was the clear winner.
- 24% say there was no clear winner.
Debate audience was 31% Republican, 37% Democrat, 24% Independent.
- 47% say their opinion of Palin went up. 18% say their opinion of Palin went down.
- 38% say their opinion of Biden went up. 22% say their opinion of Biden went down.
Ohio debate watchers say:
- Palin was more likable.
- Biden had a better command of the facts.
- Biden was more ready to assume the office of President, should that become necessary.
- 50% say that Biden makes the Democratic ticket stronger, 17% say he makes the ticket weaker, 32% say he makes no difference.
- 51% say that Palin makes the Republican ticket stronger, 33% say she makes the ticket weaker, 16% say she makes no difference.
- 76% of Republicans and 56% overall think Palin would be a better Vice President than Dick Cheney.
- 28% of Republicans and 57% overall think Biden would be a better Vice President than Dick Cheney.
SurveyUSA state of Ohio research conducted exclusively for WCMH-TV Columbus, WHIO-TV Dayton, and WKYC-TV Cleveland.