Immediately following last night’s debate between Republican Sarah Palin and Democrat Joe Biden, SurveyUSA interviewed 1,100 state of Washington adults, of whom 806 watched the debate.
Of debate watchers:
- 42% say Palin was the clear winner.
- 39% say Biden was the clear winner.
- 18% say there was no clear winner.
Debate audience was 26% Republican, 33% Democrat, 34% Independent. Republicans by 6:1 saw Palin as the winner. Democrats by 5:1 saw Biden as the winner. Independents, the most critical and coveted group, broke 5:4 for Palin. Of debate watchers:
- 52% say their opinion of Palin went up. 19% say their opinion of Palin went down.
- 42% say their opinion of Biden went up. 20% say their opinion of Biden went down.
Washington state debate watchers say:
- Palin was more likable.
- Biden had a better command of the facts.
- Biden was more ready to assume the office of President, should that become necessary.
- 54% say that Biden makes the Democratic ticket stronger, 17% say he makes the ticket weaker, 27% say he makes no difference.
- 47% say that Palin makes the Republican ticket stronger, 35% say she makes the ticket weaker, 17% say she makes no difference.
- 82% of Republicans and 60% overall think Palin would be a better Vice President than Dick Cheney.
- 31% of Republicans and 63% overall think Biden would be a better Vice President than Dick Cheney.
SurveyUSA state of Washington research conducted exclusively for KING-TV Seattle.
Full results here.